• 7.4 magnitude earthquake has struck northern Japan
•Tsunami alerts were issued to wide areas of the east coast but were later lifted. Miyagi prefecture’s Sendai Port was hit by a 1.4m wave
• Depth of the quake recorded at 25km
• Fukushima in tsunami warning zone, where waves of 90cm have hit
• The cooling system of the number 3 reactor at the Fukushima power plant has shut down and temperatures are slowly rising
• Kiwis living in Japan react to quake
• No connection between Japan and Kaikoura earthquake – scientist
A magnitude 7.4 earthquake has struck off the coast of Fukushima prefecture in Japan. A tsunami warning for waves of up to 3m was issued and later lifted after waves of 1.4m had hit.
The Japan Meteorological Agency says the quake struck around 6am at a depth of 10km.
Residents have been urged to flee.